Popular Post

Bird Cove Looking into Bay

Bird Cove Looking into Bay
Looking West into the Bay

Friday, September 16, 2011

131 Having Good Times at Our Fiftieth

Having made it to fifty years gives a person a sense of accomplishment, but as my son in-law Raymond says, “It’s just another day so what’s the big deal.” That’s assuming you got there without a struggle. Just let me say, all families have a secret, and ours is, it wasn’t always a cakewalk, but the good times by far out-weighed the bad, and the rewards are many. All you had to do was just look around and see all of the family and friends that chose to celebrate with us, which of course, was really the only meaningful reason for the event. It was, and is, what makes life’s journey the wonder and joy that it is.

I knew we were in for a super event when I heard my daughter Teri discussing the details of the occasion with her mother months before it was to begin. I figured then that anything to the contrary was useless on my part, and I might just as well keep quiet and just let it happen, as even by then, it seemed to be taking on a life of it’s own.

Teri is not inclined to do anything halfway and I knew she could pull it off in fine style but I would just as soon have been one of the guests as the center of attention. Being appreciated is fine but during such an event it is quite easy to overdue the bonhomie and as it is I’m now set for life.

I could tell that Teri was on top of the event from the very beginning as she was wise enough to solicit Bev Rippin’s talents and advise and to put Darrell Sayler in as the caterer. The event had such amazing people give of their time such as the Kettner’s and the many others who served and slaved in the kitchen and with the cleanup.

Both Joyce and Claude brought back such sweet memories of times past that the joyful emotions came very close to the surface as I relived them again. Joyce does an amazing job on putting life’s happenings into the poetic, and Claude always has such a way with words that I relived again our days out in the bush camping.

I appreciated everyone who got up especially Becky who shared such kind words about us as parents of her beloved and our son Bobby. It was also nice when Dan Johnson and my old boyhood chum Ron Lambert, as well as Bob Switak brought to life many of the memories of times past. 



It is an understatement to say that the tables looked gorgeous and that the food was par excellent. It was the first time that I ever saw a photo on a cake that looked so real that it could be eaten, and in fact it was.

I have to say that Meagan’s voice is so sweet and the songs that she sang so meaningful that I must give her an extra hug the next time that I see her. And as my good friend Leon says, “Where did Meagan get such good looks, it must have been from her father?” Just a joke Teri!

In closing I have to thank everyone who said that they enjoyed the slideshow, as I literally put in hours to make it happen, and I must thank Eric for his help.

As I said in the church bulletin, “We were more then overjoyed that you came to celebrate with us. You may have overdone it on the kissing thing but we forgive you and really appreciated your coming to wish us well. You are all cordially invited for our hundredth so keep a slot open on you calendar for 2061/09/09, Love, Bob & Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bird Cove

Bird Cove
Looking East from House